Before you cross the bar
The Taieri Mouth Bar is VERY DANGEROUS.
It must never be taken lightly.
- Wear your lifejacket.
- Secure heavy objects and close hatches.
- Check weather and tide information.
- Ask locals and others for advice.
- The channel can be on the left, centre or right side of the bar.
- Identify where the deeper water channel is before you go out and confirm it with others.
- Typically you cannot see the bottom due to water discolouration and your depth sounder will not tell you due to sand swirling.